Sunday, December 12, 2004

Weekend update

Still here, still bloggin' away.

I'm not blogging much lately, I admit. I've been caught up in World of Warcraft (WoW) for much of this past week. I've taken a dwarven hunter up to level 13 (complete with pet wolf) on the Azgalor server. I've also been playing an excellent World War II strategy game called Combat Mission via e-mail with my friend Matt (aka Faxman). We've got two battles going in the Beyond Overlord version of the game, though in the past we've also slugged it out on Barbarossa to Berlin. There's a third installment called Afrika Corps, but neither of us has that one yet.

I did some consulting work for a law firm one night this past week...it's always nice to have a little extra income during Christmas shopping season. I've got my mother and grandmother taken care of, but I still have my father, brother, and grandparents to buy for. Hopefully that'll get done this week/weekend.

My friend Mike R. came down from Reading for a visit this weekend. Plenty of drinking and bad horror movies for us. I actually fell asleep less than halfway through Dawn of the Dead, but hey, it was after two in the morning when we started watching it, and WoW had been cutting into my sleeping time all week. A shame, too, because I was really enjoying it. Oh well, I guess I'll have to watch it some other time--when I haven't had quite so much to drink. We went to a couple of different bars, scouting locations to ring in the new year. After last night, I think we've settled on Scratch Magoo's, a cool little beer-and-jukebox bar in Wilmington's Trolley Square area. We got primo real estate (seats right at the corner of the bar) on Saturday night, and even did a shot (whiskey) with the bartenders when the late-night rush started to come in. I go there semi-regularly, and most of the staff knows me by sight if not by name.

My football-watching buddy Mike B. also stopped in for a little visit on Saturday. He'd been in the Caribbean for his sister's wedding last week, and he brought me back an early Christmas present: a bottle of Bushmill Black Bush Irish whiskey. I cracked it open while cooking Saturday dinner, and man-oh-man, is it ever good.

The Giants suck. How they ever got to 5-2 is a mystery to me. That's all I'll say on the subject.

But on a positive football note, my fantasy teams both have a decent shot to make it into the playoffs (which start next week). In the league where I'm commissioner, my team was on the bubble, but 8 of 10 teams make the playoffs, and the #9 team has lost all-but-officially (unless Tony Gonzalez can make up 50 points tomorrow night--very doubtful), so I'm almost a lock. Plus, I've got my own game in that league almost won--unless Brian Westbrook can make up 10 points (that's 100 yards, 40 yards and a touchdown, or two TDs) in the last 9:45 of the Eagles-Skins game. Again, that's not likely, so it looks good for me. The league run by my friend Pat, on the other hand, is a bit trickier. Only four of ten teams go to the playoffs there. I'm in the #5 position right now, but with positions 2 through 5 battling each other, if I win this week's game, I make the playoffs there as well. I'm currently leading by 13 points, but my opponent has the dangerous Kansas City QB Trent Green going against streaky, hit-or-miss Tennessee WR Drew Bennett for me. This one could still go either way. The one benefit, win or lose, is that it'll add some interest to an otherwise meaningless Monday Night Football game.

Oh, and the best part of this weekend? As far as I'm concerned, it's still going on. I'm on vacation tomorrow--four day week for me. Now...Sims 2 or World of Warcraft?

No comments:

Post a Comment