Sunday, December 05, 2004

Hard drive woes

Great--just great. It looks like one of the hard drives on my "main" (gaming) rig is circling the bowl--it refused to even power up at first, and when it did, it ran for about an hour and quit. That's the bad news.

The good news is that it's actually the second hard drive in the machine, so other than having to reinstall most of my games and losing a few save game files, there's really no data at risk. Hard drives are cheap--having limped along with a pair of 30 GB drives for the last couple years, I can more than double its capacity, probably for about fifty dollars--well within my price range. And hopefully, I can keep the ol' 30 gigger running long enough to use Symantec Ghost to copy the contents to the new drive.

More good news: since it's Sunday, I really won't even miss the computer until I can get to Best Buy tomorrow. It's a trip I needed to make anyway--I've got some Christmas shopping to take care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment