Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Press Your Luck

In Memoriam: Peter Tomarken



When I was just a lil' bugger, I used to love sick days home from school. The ability to lay around and sleep was almost worth all of the vile medicines my mother would force down my throat. And to top it all off were the gameshows. The Price is Right. Card Sharks. But my absolute favorite had to be Press Your Luck. Creampuff multiple choice questions that let me feel smart, flashing colorful things, and cartoon Whammies--I didn't get some of the pop culture references, but they sure were goofy-looking. Heck, the show even ended up creating a true urban legend. Thank you, Peter, for making my childhood sick days a little better.

2 comments:

  1. It's a shame that this guy never made it big, a la Wink Martindale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is. This guy showed a LOT of "true" personality for a game show host. During the multiple choice questions, which I would get right at age 6 or 7, he would take subtle shots at the dumbasses who got them wrong, which was VERY daring for an 80's game show host. I'd put him in the top 3 all-time GS hosts, along with Bob Barker and Richard Dawson.

    ReplyDelete