Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Drink Review: K Cider

For the most part, I'm strictly a beer-and-Scotch guy when it comes to my drinking. I certainly enjoy a nice bottle of wine with dinner from time to time, but I wouldn't be caught dead drinking a Zima, wine cooler, or other fruity beverage (fruity referring to both their flavor and their target demographic.) But my girlfriend came to Delaware for a visit over the weekend, and since her tastes are somewhat different from mine, I thought it best to have something other than Penn Oktoberfest in my fridge. If I'd have bought a container of Seagram's wine coolers, I wouldn't have been able to show my face in my local liquor store ever again, so what to buy? Then inspiration hit me--cider! It's the one fruit-ish beverage that even I enjoy, especially this time of year, and I found a beauty of an import tucked away in the store's "girlie fridge". It's an imported hard cider from the U.K. that goes by the simple moniker of "K", and it's far superior to the American offerings on the market. The likes of Woodchuck and Hornsby are OK, but overly sweet--closer in taste to a Zima than a nice mug of spiced cider. (The beer list/guide at Monk's Cafe in Philly refers to American ciders as "sugar water".) That's not the case here--K seems to have almost no sweetness to it whatsoever, giving it a crisp, tart flavor that's not to be missed. Highest recommendation for the cider aficionado.

3 comments:

  1. 1. If I were a man, I'd be gay.

    2. You have purchased Mike's Hard Berry for me from that liquor store

    3. Don't you wish you were a Red Sox fan just like me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. You certainly would, since your preference is men.

    2. True. But I was embarrassed to do so.

    3. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.) Everyone knows Joel is a closet girly drink nut.

    2.) He told me his dream is to share an appletini with Zach Braff...

    3.)...while wearing the Red Sox jersey he won't buy because he knows how unworthy he is

    ReplyDelete