Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Teaser!

I hate "tune in tomorrow" announcements, but an opportunity for fun on this here lil' blog has just presented itself.

I get to work at home tomorrow--mostly learning the configuration of a hardware VPN appliance--but this aftenoon, two laptops from the 90's came across my desk for proper disposal.

Before this can happen, the client group needs to be certain that confidential data on the notebook-size hard drives won't fall into the wrong hands. My job is to make sure that happens.

With extreme prejudice.

My objective is to fold, spindle, or mutilate these drives so that they can never be used again. Post some suggestions on how I can get rid of them permanently in the comments--I'll perform some of the best "crash tests" tomorrow and post pictures ASAP.

Some considerations:

-I have a dishwasher, a pond in my back yard (currently empty of fish), a small assortment of power tools, a pair of paintball guns, and everything that I consider a common household item.

-I do not have fireworks or other explosives, "real" firearms, or any significant variety of acid. I also will not risk substantial property damage or injury to myself or anyone else.

This is also a chance for me to see just how many readers I really have (or don't have). I'm counting on you guys!

3 comments:

  1. Well, since I embarassed myself by not receiving a single suggestion, I'm going to hold off on the destruction while I'm out of town for the weekend. I'll come up with something clever and photogenic next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drop it in a bowl of Skyline Chili.. that crap will destroy anything. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good idea, but a waste of good chili. :) But I'm going to adapt that a little bit--starting tomorrow. I'll be taking pictures and posting them next week, most likely.

    ReplyDelete